The incidence of diverticular
disease (DD) of the colon has been increasing worldwide and is particularly
common in Western nations. In this presentation, Dr Hawrelak will review the research
around DD prevalence and its aetiology, as well as delving into the role of
dysbiosis, chronic low-grade inflammation, and metabolic dysfunction in its
pathophysiology. He’ll also discuss the therapeutic potential of probiotics,
prebiotics, dietary modifications and herbal medicines
in its treatment.
In this presentation, Dr Hawrelak will cover:
- the spectrum of diverticular disease - e.g., diverticulosis vs acute diverticulitis vs symptomatic uncomplicated diverticular disease and more...
- whether patients really need to avoid eating nuts,seeds, and popcorn
- which specific probiotics work in DD and equally important, which do not
- the ideal diet to consume to minimise the chances of diverticular complications
- the prebiotics of choice in DD
- the potential role of excess methane production in the condition
- the most effective herbal medicines to use as part of the treatment of DD
- how to differentiate symptomatic uncomplicated diverticular disease from irritable bowel syndrome
- and more!
Access duration: 12 months.
Dr Hawrelak is a microbiota and probiotic researcher, educator, and clinician with over 20 years experience treating mainly gastrointestinal conditions and more than 20 years teaching students and practitioners how to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal conditions, as well as how to promote optimal gut health. Click here for a full bio.